7 Reasons Why Brookside Is The Perfect Place To Call Home What comes to mind when you think of finding a new neighbourhood to call home? For the residents of Brookside, their neighbourhood checks all the right boxes and then some. In fact, there’s a number of homeowners who grew up in the neighborhood- they loved it so much that they chose to move back and raise their own families; nowhere else quite lived up to their experience here. “I think that speaks volumes about a neighbourhood,” one community resident reflects. So what exactly is it that draws people to live in Brookside? We thought it was best to go right to the source and ask the residents themselves. Hearing their stories, it became clear that they couldn't agree on just one reason—so here are the seven reasons why Brookside is the perfect place to call home.
1. A safe place and strong community "It feels like we're kind of an island placed in the middle of the city" one resident explains. "Since there's only one major road, it reduces neighbourhood traffic significantly and makes it so much safer for children." Speaking with Brooksiders, they added that this factor creates a sense of both rural living and a strong community, unlike anywhere else. They feel closer, safer, and more connected because of this. "I never have to worry about my kids crossing very busy roads on their way home from the playground," another resident shared proudly.
2. Large lots, surrounded by nature As you walk through this beautiful neighbourhood, you’ll notice why Brookside is known as a haven amidst the city. The wide streets and mature trees create a sense of calm, while birds chirping and children laughing replace the sound of traffic. "We love that it is a mature neighbourhood that has so much variety in houses," says one resident. "The lot sizes are really large, the roads are wide, and the trees are so beautiful. You just don’t find that in newly developed neighbourhoods.”
3. Grab your poles & hit the slopes The community is located in the heart of Snow Valley, meaning its residents have access to skiing and snowboarding right outside their door, making winter so much more enjoyable. “My kids are old enough to be able to walk home after ski lessons at Snow Valley”. One homeowner shares. “I often remind them how lucky they are to have this in their backyard - not many kids get to live like this.” Having a ski hill so close is a great source of joy for many of the residents. “I grew up in Brookside after my family moved here when I was 11 years old. Moving is often difficult at that age, but my parents eased the transition by buying me a season pass to Snow Valley. I would go snowboarding nearly every day after school during the winter season,” one resident reflects.
4. Hop on the Whitemud & go anywhere It’s no wonder why Brooksiders love their neighbourhood, with skiing, hiking trails, and scenic views all within walking distance. They know that if they want a little more hustle and bustle, it's just a quick drive downtown. "You're so close to everything," one resident states. "You need to get to West Edmonton Mall? Downtown? To the airport? Hop on the Whitemud and you're there in no time." Another resident agreed: "The proximity to major routes comes in handy when you have three kids in arena sports!"
5. Leave the city behind in the Whitemud Ravine Unwinding in the ravine is a favorite among all Brookside residents. With a wonderfully cared-for network of ravine and river valley trails at their doorstep, these homeowners don’t need to leave the city limits to reconnect with nature. “We frequently see deer, owls, squirrels, beavers, rabbits, and plenty of year-round bird life,” a homeowner tells us. The old-growth forest is a great place for residents to remove themselves from the busyness of life. Whether it’s mountain biking, hiking, cross-country skiing, or just walking the dog, the trails provide the community with endless adventures. “ It’s so easy to forget you’re in the middle of the city”, another resident adds.
6. Enjoy the good ol’ hockey game We can’t forget about the playground and skating rink. “The outdoor skating rink reminds me of when I was a kid – just one of those good ol’ local rinks that are for hockey and recreational skating,” one resident reminisces. The skating rink is used by children and adults alike, and it's a wonderful gathering place for the community. The newly installed playground also makes the area very enjoyable for parents of young children in the community. In addition to the playground and skating rink, having the Riverbend Community League in their community is an added bonus with its multitude of programs and initiatives. “The Green Shack program was such a huge hit for our kids one summer,” a Brookside resident shares.
7. Shop & dine in minutes But aside from all the adventure activities the community boasts, Brookside homeowners are also quick to add the closeness of amenities like Southgate mall, just a few minutes away. The community's location near this exciting hub of retail and entertainment options means that residents can get the best of both worlds: easy access to world-class shopping, as well as plenty of opportunities for outdoor adventure.
Brookside is truly a unique place where families of all ages can enjoy an elevated lifestyle in a beautiful setting, with great trails, parks, shopping, and recreational activities all within walking distance of their homes. One resident describes Brookside as having “a small town feel, right here in the middle of the city.” We couldn’t agree more.Posted by Kerri-lyn Holland on
Leave A Comment